Saturday, August 20, 2011

Home-cooked meal + Workouts

Last night I made a delicious hearty meal for my family. I have been in Orlando the last few days, helping my mom recover from her surgery and have had a lot of time to practice my cooking skills :-)

I love being home! I love spending time with my family around the dinner table. Talking with my parents throughout the day, baking in the kitchen I grew up in! I love it!

Chicken and Dumplings
(adapted from the More with Less Cookbook)

3Steps:
Prepare the veggies
Prepare the chicken
Prepare the dough

Step 1: Chop up 2 cups potatoes into cubes, 1 onion, 1/2 cup fresh parsely, and 3 stalks celery


Add all veggies to 10-12 cups water with 10 chicken boulin cubes. Cook 10 minutes.


Step 2: Boil thawed chicken breasts for 30-40 minutes
Remove and cut into cubes
Add chicken to veggies

Step 3: Prepare the dough by combining 2 cups flour, 1/2tsp salt, 1TB butter, 4TB fresh parsley, 1/2 to 3/4c water


Roll the dough into a ball and cover for 15 minutes


Roll into 1.5inch squares and drop into soup mixture. Cover and let cook 10-15 minutes.

Enjoy!!!! Pair with fresh spinach salad (below) and whole grain bread and butter.

Spinach Plumb Salad

Spinach, plumbs, blueberries, and goat cheese. Drizzle with balsamic dressing.



------------------------------Exercise-----------------------------


Last night's and this morning's Workouts:

6 mile run at LA Fitness Friday night
60 min spin class Sat. morning

And of course after a long day of waiting on my mom (I feel so bad for her- she is still in tons of pain)..... my sister and her bf went to the store to grab some freshly baked vanilla and chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. My mom deserved it! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment