Whenever I get the chance, I love to bake. I just love the way it makes the house smell. When I have a bunch of brown bananas, I can't resist whipping up a wholesome banana bread. This particular recipe come from a friend of mine over at www.homewithb.com I made a few modifications- substituting maple syrup for honey and used Greek yogurt instead of applesauce for a little added protein. Hope you enjoy!
Whole Wheat Banana Bread (adapted from Home With B)
2 1/4 c whole wheat flour (I used 3/4 c whole wheat, 3/4 c oatmeal, 1/2c soy flour- for added protein)
3/4 tsp baking soda (I also added 1/2tsp baking powder for a fluffier bread)
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBS ground flax
3 ripe bananas (the browner the better for sweetness!)
1/4 c applesauce OR plain yogurt (organic Greek is best)
1/4 c honey OR agave OR coconut sugar (OR, as mentioned, I used 100% pure organic maple syrup)
1/3 c coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used 2tsp)
Option: 1/2 c chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan with coconut oil. Best when applied with hands (washed, of-course) ;-)
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and flax.
3. In a separate bowl, mix mashed bananas with applesauce (or yogurt), honey (or agave or coconut sugar), eggs, oil and vanilla.
4. Fold banana mixture into flour mixture until blended. Do not over mix. Add chocolate chips if you desire.
5. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
6. Bake the loaf for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. (I baked for 50 minutes and it came out great!)