Thursday, February 2, 2012

Race For the Cure 2012

My grandmother was beautiful.  She was graceful, had a great smile (with bright pink lipstick), beautiful figure, and was the most amazing host and cook.  She always brought our family together for huge celebrations and dinners.  I was so lucky to live near my grandparents from the age of 4 to age 12.  Then, one day she was diagnosed with breast cancer.



My whole world changed.  I had never experienced loss before in my life.  Suddenly I had a fear that she might not make it.

Two slow and steady years later, I was surrounded by family hugging my grandma for the last time.  There was tons of family and she left to Heaven in the comfort of her home.  It was the day before Thanksgiving and I couldn't imagine being thankful for anything that year.

Now, looking back, I am thankful to have known my grandma!  I am thankful I had such a wonderful person in my life.  Someone who bought me ballet clothes, someone who baked cookies with me, someone who was always excited to see my brother and I. 

Without a doubt, I am who I am today because of my grandmother's positive influences in my life at such a young age.  I still strive to live life with the grace she did.  She was a hard worker, always cleaning, always smiling. 

I ran this year's Race for the Cure in her honor.  Shirley Berg - I will always remember you and know you are looking down from Heaven. 

I ran a 20:43 5K, 12th overall, 3rd in my age group

Every step of the way I thought of the battle that so many face with cancer.  Every breath, I thought of my grandmother's fight, her physical battle to stay strong in spite of the disease.

Right to Left: My friend Ashley and I

2 comments:

  1. Such a great story! I also grew up with my grandparents close to me. We did everything together and ate together every weekend. Losing my grandfather was the toughest time I have ever experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, it was so tough but also I feel so blessed to have had her in my life!

    ReplyDelete